Thursday, October 24, 2013

The best gift that we can give our loved ones is the gift of our time.


Saying goodbye to my daughter happened quite in a hurry. What was it? Ten, fifteen minutes of quiet time, punctuated with some hugs and kisses and occasional I-Love-Yous.

Time never seems to be enough.

Physically, I wish that I can exist in a parallel universe - one for my career and the other one where my present self shall be is the universe that will be solely for my loved ones. But of course, it ain't gonna be a life worth living if it's too ideal.

In today's Gospel (Luke 12:54-59), Jesus calls on us to pay attention to the present time. Rev. Richard Gabuzda cites C.S. Lewis' work, The Screwtape Letters, in his reflection, highlighting "the importance of living in the present moment, while revealing the temptation of dwelling on the past, but, above all, the temptation which pulls us to focus on the future. "

One thing that mindfulness exercises and yoga have greatly helped me with is on keeping my mind to the present. Much of my recent stresses have been caused by phantoms -- ghosts of the past and invisible demons that haunt my future. I used to worry too much. I still do but I now have a better grip of my present reality. Perhaps, if I can make more time to practice mindfulness and maranatha meditation, my mind can finally switch from anywhere but here to nowhere but here.

Life is too short to waste on what never was and what couldn't be anymore. Yes, it is a very sad thought but I have been okay because I learned to live in and enjoy the present.


"Gratitude looks to the Past and love to the Present; fear, avarice, lust and ambition looks ahead."

- C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

No comments:

Post a Comment